Thursday, February 16, 2012

Why I wake up...

I made a goal last year in January to wake up early each morning and really read and study the scripture before my kids woke up. I am not a morning person at all and you would usually find me crawling out of bed about 15 minutes before my son had to get on the bus. Let's just say my mornings were always hectic. I wrote my goal down to wake up at 6am everyday, read the scriptures for at least an hour and stuck it on my frig. As with all most all my "new years resolution" goals, I didn't really believe I could do it, but a scripture kept coming to my mind which says:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I decided that I better work on this weakness and spend more time in the scriptures everyday to really ponder and study them. So I started to pray each night when I went to bed that I would be able to get up. Another scripture kept coming to my mind that would end up helping me accomplish this goal. It says:

"...cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."

As I adjusted my evening bedtime and continued to pray the Lord strengthened my resolve and a year later, I still wake up to study and pour over the scriptures. I can't tell you the change that has come over me. It has been incredible. I have come to know for myself that the words of Christ are true. That we truly have a Father in Heaven that loves us. I know that God has called righteous men to lead his people in times of old and that today we have a prophet on the earth. I am grateful for weaknesses like the scripture above said because it helps us to humble ourselves, get on our knees and seek the guidance and strength of the Lord. May we each continue to ponder and feast upon the words of Christ so that our lives will be full of the blessings of our Father in Heaven who waits for us to come unto him.

No comments:

Post a Comment